9 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Spring
After last week's Polar Vortex, this week's forecast will feel like a change in season! And according to Punxsutawney Phil, we can expect an earlier spring this year.
Say what you will about the groundhog's record (he's been correct about 40% of the time), the first day of spring is March 20th. And many of you want to get an early start preparing your home for spring.
Here are 9 ways to prepare your home for spring.
1. Examine Roof Shingles Examine your roof shingles to see if any were lost or damaged during winter. Ensure to look around the pipes the stick out of your roof. The boots that keep the water out get cracked at times and will cause problems if not taken care of.
2. Check Gutters Improper drainage can lead to water in the basement or crawl space. Check for loose or leaky gutters. And make sure downspouts drain away from the foundation and are clear and free of debris.
3. Use Compacted Soil Fill areas in the yard or next to the foundation with compacted soil. Spring rains can lead to yard flooding, which can cause foundation flooding and damage.
4. Examine Chimney Examine the exterior of the chimney for signs of damage. And have the flue cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep.
5. Inspect Concrete Inspect concrete slabs for signs of cracks or movement.
6. Check Outside Faucets Check outside hose faucets for freeze damage.
7. Service AC Unit Have a professional heating and cooling contractor clean and service the outside unit of the air conditioning system.
8. Repair Windows and Screens Replace damaged screens so you'll be ready to enjoy the spring breeze.
9. Check Power Equipment Check your powered lawn equipment to make sure it is ready to be used.